top of page

Higher Education including Universities

If you are interested in going onto Higher Education or to University in the future, use these links to find out more or ask the school Careers Advisor; Mrs Tania Ashton-Bray.

HIGHER IDEAS is a great programme which allows you to explore university courses. If you know what you want to study after Y11 but are not sure what opportunities this leads to at university, the Ideas Generator will give you some course suggestions to explore.

If you click the link you will need a licence code to access the site (Please ask Mrs Tania Ashton-Bray for the licence code) or this can be accessed in school without the code via Student Intranet OR Pupil Resources/Careers.


Choose your future. Explore your options, apply to university. Some Higher Education providers and Universities may ask for specific GCSE or AS/A2/BTEC grades and others may ask for 'UCAS Tariff Points' - this is where your AS/A2/BTEC grades are converted into points - click on this link for more details about this -


Good advice about career opportunities for graduates. Click on Careers Advice and What Can I Do With My Degree to find out more about careers that link to degree subjects. Click on Job Sectors to find out more about different career areas.


What you study at sixth form or college can affect your options at university and your future career. Use Informed Choices to help you understand which subjects open up different degrees, particularly at Russell Group universities.


Lots of advice on how to choose a Uni, how to get a place and what student life is actually like.

Good place to search for University Open Days where you get chance to visit a Uni, have a look round, see the facilities and find out what courses are on offer.



Can I afford to go to University?


If you want to go to University in the future, you will have to pay for the course (tuition fee). As of 2017, most Universities charge £9250 per year (and most University courses take, on average, three years). Don't worry, you don't have to pay this money up front - you can get money from the Government to pay the tuition fee (a student loan) and help with your living costs whilst you are a student (a living costs or maintenance loan).


You can loan this money from the Government and pay it back once you have finished your studies and are in a job earning more than £21,000 a year. You can get more money from the Government (a maintenance grant), depending upon who you live with and how much they earn, and this is money you do not have to pay back.

Got questions about student finance?


Whether you're thinking about studying, or are already a student, you can find out everything you need to know about student finance in England by clicking on the 'Student Finance England' icon to the right.

bottom of page